When it comes to the server room, one of the areas that overlooked is server room fire suppression that protects the system. When a company invests thousands of dollars in their IT infrastructure, you should protect investments from fire and water damage.
Server room fire suppression and data centers are very important for server space itself. Fire suppression systems will extinguish the fire without the need for human intervention. The server room fire suppression systems must be suitable for the environment of clean air.
Server room fire suppression requirements
Design standard for server room fire suppression systems and data center done with strict regulations. As suppression fire agent used can be dangerous if not designed correctly. However, technology has changed as the protected technology changed. This used to be the only option that you have is a system of sprinkler pipe is wet or dry, but water and the computer do not tend to mix very well.
Newer server room fire suppression for server space and the other computer has advanced to include friendly gases. Which remove oxygen from the room and the pre-sensitive action system that can detect tiny heat increases. Pre-system actions can even remind you of overheating of the equipment before the fire.
One of the more popular gas extinguisher systems to the data room is the use of nitrogen gas. This system, when activated, reduces the amount of oxygen to below 15%. It’s basically suffocating flames in rooms, or eliminate the oxygen to a level that will not allow a fire broke out. The system of nitrogen tied into the pre-action type of system that will give the employee or others in the room time to flee before activation. This will prevent die-limp as unintended consequences.
Server room fire suppression options
Rule 1- reduce oxygen server room fire suppression
This method uses Nitrogen and Argon, sometimes one small element of CO2 to replace the oxygen in the room server. Also, the principle of this system is to reduce the oxygen level to under 15%. By decreasing the oxygen to this level will suppress the fire. The design should consider the safety of the personnel and keep oxygen levels above 12%. However, it will be enough to sustain life in an environment depleted of oxygen.
1. The fire suppression system is inert gas will discharge in 1-2 minutes
2. Will generally have more cylinders of gas chemistry
3. Working with high pressure, 300 Bar or 200 Bar
4. It will need a pressure relief vents
5. Common names of gas, Argon, ProInert, IG541, and INERGEN.
Rule 2- based cooling server room fire suppression
The most synthetic chemical fire suppression agent has some form of cooling mechanism. These systems generally use less gas and do not reduce oxygen levels. However, as any synthetic agents, high doses can be toxic for that true design necessary.
1. Synthetic fire suppression systems will provide payload in 10 seconds
2. Will be fewer cylinders and in some cases, the cylinder is larger than the inert gas cylinder
3. Low pressures used only 42 Bar and 25 Bar
4. It will require a pressure relief vent for negative and positive pressure during discharge
5. Common names for synthetic agents FM200, Novec1230, HFC227ea, and HFC125 Ecaro