HAZOP (Hazards and Operability) is a hazard identification technique used for industrial processes. It such as chemical industry, petrochemical, and oil refinery. HAZOP was first developed by the technicians of ICI, at the moment they do new plant architecture. However, the installation of a refinery or chemical plant is very complex and complicated. Reviewing the safety of this facility is very difficult. So, the identification of dangers cannot be done comprehensively. With the technique of Hazards and Operability, so, identification of danger can be done in a systematic way.
Though at first the technique of HAZOP is to identify hazards. Also, development in the study included risk assessment. So, it can qualitative risk rating obtained.
The Intent Purpose of HAZOP
HAZOP intended to identify the dangers related to the impaired operation, equipment and a system of production facilities. However, HAZOP related companies can gain an overview of the safety aspects related to the technical design of the project.
Also, the Organization will have the results of the identification of a hazard. Then, it used as the basis for ensuring the reliability of the operating system.
HAZOP studies intended for the purpose as follows:
1. Identify all deviations from the existing design. Then, hazard and operability problems relating to the deviation.
2. Know the technical process which expected to work properly and the technical possibilities that can affect.
3. Determine the action needs to taken to control the problem operability. Also, if yes, to identify how to overcome these problems.
4. Identify cases that need the decision quickly, and decided the information as well as what action required.
5. To ensure that the actions which have decided and implemented.
Types Of HAZOP
1. Hazards and Operability process, which developed a system to assess the processes and factories.
2. Human Hazards and Operability, focus on the human error from the failure of technique.
3. Hazards and Operability procedure, review the sequence of operations. Also, the workings process.
4. Hazards and Operability software, identifying the possibility of mistakes in the software development.
Benefits of Hazards and Operability
1. Companies can know for sure that there is a level of risk profile in the facilities of the project.
2. The company can determine the scale of priority problems of safety.
3. It used as a reference and guide for all parties associated with the operation of the project.
HAZOP main procedure:
1. Complete a picture collection any existing processes in a factory
2. Solving process into sub-processes that smaller.
3. Search possibilities drift on each process through the use of systematic questions.
4. Do the assessment of any negative effects brought by deviation.
5. The determination of countermeasures against deviations that occur
The scope and results of the study
HAZOP has done by using sheet P&ID, the possibility to identify all deviations that can arise with using various keywords such as above. Then, after deviation investigated more deeply, consequences arising if such a deviation occurs. Next review what a security system or existing control tools installed in the system. Also, if not complete what recommendations needed to avoid the consequences that can occur.